Tuesday, August 30, 2011

To Kindle, or not to Kindle?

Recently, I spent a whole day soaking up some sun with the family at a fun waterpark. It was a great time! Like many, I like to get my tan on. So, I got outta the water and sat on my towel, I pulled out my latest read, Hunger Games, and I sprawled out for a nice glowing tan - this is the usual procedure.

I noticed a woman come and sat in the water with a ziploc bag and a Kindle! She was reading in the water as I was reading out to the side of the water, trying desperately to keep my fingers dry to turn the pages.

Well this got me thinking: maybe I should get a Kindle! But then my mind made a list, as it normally does when I want to buy something new:
  • I like to sneak and read the last page before I get to it (don't judge me - I'm curious).
  • I like to be able to judge how much of the book I have left to read by feeling the thickness of one side of it.
  • I like knowing which books I read in the summer by looking at those watermarked pages.
  • And knowing which books I read in the winter by those coffee rings on the pages.
  • I like that noise the pages make as I turn them.
  • I won't be able to smell the new pages and old books (yes, books have a smell).
  • I like to look at the folded corners and see where I stopped and started last time (I usually re-read my books).
  • I like to see all the books I've read on my shelf, like little trophies.
So while I will have to lay out instead of sit in the water to read my book, I'll still enjoy all the little pleasures that come with reading a book.

3 comments:

  1. i'm never going to stop reading paper books! kindles are boring. it's the little things, people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got a Kindle and I am in love with it. I was hesitant at first but I'm so happy I made the switch now. I can see why you wouldn't like it though, you definitely can't smell a Kindle lol.

    Kindness is the best accessory,
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree sis, books are so much better! I love the crisp pages on new books that have never been read. I don't think I would ever want to go to a kindle.

    ReplyDelete