I've noticed a few things being a Pre-K TA. A big one is not being able to wear heels! I have to wear comfortable clothing and lots of cotton, as I do a lot of dancing and walking around!
Also, a lot of the kids have accidents... lots of 'em. Potty accidents are the worst kind. And they love to put everything in their mouths! Glue, paste, crayons, paint, and play-doh are all materials of choice. A few other things I've noticed: they love to color and do puzzles.
Now you guys know how I love to compile lists, so I've compiled a list to help you with your own little one starting Pre-K:
- First: potty train them! Kids have way too many accidents at school.
- Read to your child! The more kids are read to, the better they will understand letters.
- Let them color at home! Buy them crayons and coloring books. It develops motor skills.
- Most importantly: let them learn. A lot of times I see parents trying to baby their 4-year-olds! They can do more than you think.
- And lastly: be careful what your kids hear/see. They repeat it all at school! Things like "my dad works at night 'cause he's a robber!" or "I'm peeing outside 'cause that's what my dad taught me to do."